Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Rough Guide to Woody Allen

Recently I saw the new Woody Allen flick, Midnight in Paris. Michelle and I were discussing the film and to my amazement it was her first Allen experience. I suggested that she needs to see many more of his films to understand really how amazing his work is. Although I don't want to pose as an aficionado I have seen a few of his films and would like to present a rough guide to some of the better Woodie Allen Films.

To begin I would suggest Allen's newer work, so probably watch Vicky Christina Barcelona, Match Point, and Midnight in Paris. All good films. He is so good at making his location look beautiful and showcasing it for all that it is.



Next would be Annie Hall which he is most well known for and may be the birth of the modern romantic comedy, and Manhattan. Both are great movies from his early career.


And the last set Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Husbands and Wives. Three wonderful existential romantic comedies.



Woody Allen is probably one of my favorite directors. He has to be included in the list of best screenwriters. His ability to direct and script comedic timing is brilliant. There are still quite a few movies that I need to catch up with though: Interiors, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex but Were Afraid to Ask, Stardust Memories, Zelig, Manhattan Murder Mystery, and Bullets Over Broadway.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that he is a talented director. However, there is something about his overall tone that doesn't speak to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. He obviously has a very unique style as you can tell you are watching a Woody Allen film within the first 5 minutes of viewing one. He's one of these filmmakers who I want to like. I just can't. It's the same with sex for me. Jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Derek: I feel the same way about Michael Bay movies and Shrek.

    ReplyDelete