Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hangover 2: First Disappointing Movie of the Summer


If you find yourself sitting on the couch watching tv and you see the Hangover 2 preview you probably experience a burst of happy emotions...stop it. Hangover 2 was not good for several reasons. When the characters consistently tell you what they are about to do or what they are doing while they are doing it, it gets old and unnecessary. 

If you want to surprise us then do so. This is similar to the first but I find it to be different I guess, if you're doing something crazy you don't need to tell us it's crazy just do it.

And lastly Zach Galifianakis was funny in the first movie because he didn't push it too far. In sequels there are some instances where less is better, the saying isn't "more is more" for a reason, probably because it sounds dumb, it's redundant, and it is dumb...Oh well. It would have been nice if they had some set of lines that they thought would be nice for Zach and were like, "See what you can do with these, if they don't work just improv it." Of course they might have done that. I think they just wrote him to be more idiosyncratic when it would been more interesting if he mellowed out more or something because he actually had friends now.

So this movie wasn't really for me. I didn't think it would be a great comedy like the first one but I was hoping for a little more than what I got out of it. I would recommend renting it when it releases on DVD. I don't think it's worth $10. Just go see X-Men twice this weekend.

As always comments are appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. The movie would have been a lot better if Zach's character hadn't been so over done. But I knew it would be stupid, so I was still able to enjoy it (a lot like when I went to see Borat or Bruno).

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Austin: I didn't get to see Bruno but Borat had a couple fun parts for me. I AM super excited for Captain America and Harry Potter though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Harry Potter is going to be awesome. I haven't seen any previews for Captain America yet.

    ReplyDelete