Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Top 10 Movies of 2010


1. Social Network - A great movie that isn't really about Facebook. The screenwriting is spectacular. The conversations are intriguing. The score by Trent Reznor is just enough. David Fincher has done a great job of keeping this film's pace upbeat and there is never a dull moment. Let's end the Jesse Eisenberg or Michael Cera discussions now.


2. 127 Hours - This movie did not come as a surprise to me but what did surprise me was how inspired I was when I left the theater. I couldn't wait to get home and start planning my next summer's camping trips. After listening to the Creative Screenwriting Podcast featuring Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy it sounds like they kept this movie very true to the real events that Aron Ralston faced. From a summary this movie might seem boring but Boyle did Ralston's experience a wonderful justice and kept things interesting. James Franco is great in this and seems like he is probably a lot like this character in real life. Love Sigur Ros - Festival playing at the end.


3. Somewhere - Sofia Coppola's newest movie is about an actor who doesn't really know what he's doing in life. The only thing that defines Stephen Dorff's character is where he is located at any given moment. He drives a Ferrari because he has the money. He pays strippers to come to his hotel room and pole dance to the Foo Fighters - My Hero and Amerie - 1 thing wearing matching outfits but they just dance and leave, nothing more. He doesn't show any emotion when they're dancing. These stripper scenes crack me up. This film is great in its portrayal of an artist who can have pretty much anything he wants but in the end he doesn't know what he wants. Through the course of the movie he figures out what he enjoys and it's great watching that unfold.








Honorable Mentions:
Enter the Void - Gaspar Noe's cinematography
Easy A - Tucci family dynamic
I Am Love - Tilda Swinton

*It's possible this list might change once I get to a few other movies that are on my list: A ProphetCarlosDogtoothAll Good ThingsBlue Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment